Thursday 22 March 2012

So that little issue about the rest of my life....

4 years have gone by too fast. Some great times, some strange times and some miserably broke times (Thank you final year for that last one!). All together making up a unique experience that we'll never be able to really truly recreate again. Which is sad in more ways that I can say. However, there's still some brilliant things to come and I have decided instead of wallowing and fretting over things not done in the past  I'm going to highlight the good things (and turning the any bad things into good things, mind over matter people!) of  being tossed out into this distorted reality that people have dubbed the "real world."

Laters UCC !
My Student Card expires on the 30th of September. This thought terrifies me nearly more than my future job prospects. No more discounts or special treatment. Full price trains (seriously one needs to take out a mini mortgage to afford them regularly!) However, lets turn this into a positive and see it as an extra incentive to completely exploit it until then! It also gives us "the fear", to quote Chandler from friends "You need the fear", to find a job so we will earn enough money to not miss that wonderful card's perks that much.

Please mister don't take my card from me!


No job lined up? Brilliant! Unless you are becoming a teacher, this is your LAST proper long summer  off. It's the perfect time to do nothing serious or proactive for your future! Say yes to pyjama days, day time drinking, every sort of festival/gig, trips away, cooking everything in your (friends) house and watching hours/days of trashy day time TV!All in all a pretty sweet lazy summer. If you are stuck for things to do please click here for my post about procrastination!

*Disclaimer:Some sort of part time job/funding may be required to attend fun things like festivals or go anywhere but your house.

Sunshine, skateboards & balance may not be included.



Casual drinking will become standard and not frowned upon. While we are students and do this people just grumble about how we are wasters and disgraceful drunks. However, once we enter the working world, add some sort of power suit and a work phone glued to our ear people will know that this, albeit very large, drink has been earned and they will clearly be awstruck by how hard we must work.

Two approaches can be taken for this:

The first is the large bottle and  equally large glass combination more fitting to the "Tough day, don't talk to me" scenario.

No nonsense approach.

The second is slightly more delicate and more organised in appearance, whereby like the underwear of the day you may have had as a child, your china cups are mark by the beverage they should be used. This can show "classiness" and "superiority" etc.

Bringing some manners into the affair.


Moving out and into our own home. As much as  I like living at home I'm really looking forward to having my very own place and space with friends...Now this doesn't necessarily only apply to those of us who live at home as I am sure there will be serious upscaling with regards quality for those of you who are already "independent".



All the travel opportunities once we're employed or have finally found some miraculous funding will be brilliant. For me nothing is better than the feeling of packing a bag and flying off to somewhere full of new exciting experiences! Some might say growing up means becoming more restricted or tied down but just think about it positively, that limited amount of time off available can make anyone become more proactive in organizing weekend breaks and carefully booking those elusive few holiday weeks. On top of this the chance to travel on business trips will be amazing- On top of this how fantastically important does that sound? Also if you are anything like myself, it will be a chance to let your well worn back packs and rucksacks from eons ago retire and replace it with something that is not from the Supervalu special stamp offer of the 90's.

Hat boxes, yay or nay?


Becoming more mobile. This will mean many different things for each of us. For some it might be buying our first car, for others it will be upgrading, maybe even getting a company car. At the end of it all in all it will be  more chance of adventure and more freedom...Speaking of I should really get my full licence..

Nothing quite like throwing on a pair of doggles and jumping into the side car!


I realise I may sound very naiive and roughly about 8 years old at how impressed I am by all of this but sure that's what rose tinted glasses are for. I don't care really, because after 18 years of continuous education I have almost completed my third and final level (for now) and am on the brink of entering into the "real" working world which is what we are have been working towards all along, am I right?

12 comments:

  1. The future is really scary I dont want to leave College, things are tougher in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really won't be a long time coming ... Scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually gonna stay in college till I'm 40.... this real world shitis frightening... ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary stuff but exciting at the same time! love your blogs, i hope they wont end when you enter the real world:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know right, Did my positive twist help you at all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel a lot better about finishing after reading this blog!

    It's frightening not having your future planned out for you when it pretty much has been for the last 21 years! Onwards and upwards as they say!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad I could help a small bit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. God the future scares me....the only thing that's getting me through the fear is the idea of moving out of home and Cork. Going to be AWESOME again!

    And those cups, I need those cups.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahh never want to leave college ever but thank you sooo much for doing a post about the good things to look forward to!! im actually fecking off to dubai in june- first chance i get- not ready to enter the real world yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Yea I'm there with you on being quite scared of leaving!
    @Bex I know those cups are amazing!
    @Catriona Ah congrats on Dubai!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got student discount into a GAA league match for one of the last times the other day. I actually nearly broke down inside the turnstiles!
    And I know we need to get the fear....but I'm TOO afraid...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awh no!Sure just think in a few years you can get a pensioner dicount! :) At this stage you're not alone..Me too, me too... o_O

    ReplyDelete