Tuesday 13 March 2012

Things to perk up a dull week...

Last week I went to two fantastic events that really livened up what would otherwise be a very dull, overworked typical week in final year. (Sidenote: There are less than two weeks left of classes what sort of mind f*ck is that?!)



The first event was a talk given by the two front women, Emilie Sobels & Maddie Raedts, of Fashiolista. Fashiolista for those of you who may not know is the biggest online fashion community in the world. It's like a combination of Tumblr and Facebook whereby members can compile a sort of scrapbook and  share with others their personal fashion lusts that they come across on the net. A massive bonus of course,but not to any form of bank savings/credit card you may have, is that the site gives you links to where you can purchase these amazing items!  These ladies graciously gave us time out of their busy schedule (They have just finished a hectic few weeks working some of the biggest Fashion Weeks, green is not even the word!) to fill us in on the inner-workings of the online Fashion Community from both a Blogger and Business perspective. They are two truly inspirational business women managing to balance full time college and running their international company, feel free to join me in feeling like an underachiever!



The second event that really made my week finish with a bang was none other than the Scroobius Pip gig held in Cyprus Avenue on Sunday. Scroobius was his ever boss self with his infamous beard and truckerhat ( he also had a shark backpack thats now on my want list). Special guest  funny man American rapper  B Dolan  (has been quoted to say “I’m famous in the US. It goes 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, me, then everyone else…but don’t Wikipedia it”.) and up and coming singer Natasha Fox  added to the mix to make the entire show completely electric. I honestly can say that it was the best gig I have been to in a while. Each of these performers are ridiculously talented with natural born charisma: Combined, they create a chemistry that cannot be faked and an unforgetable show that left the audience in a state of complete euphoria (The steins at The Abbott's Ale House beforehand might have had a little to do with that but who knows really!).

Scroobius & Dolan

 What really made it for me was being able to finally see Scroobius perform my favourite song "The Struggle".The entire crowd errupted, like completly lost it, when everyone heard the first few beats!   On top of many spectacular performances of their own material the group treated us to some great interaction throughout. A specially mention needs to made  about a hilarious dance off between Dolan and a randomer from the audience in which he performed a spoken word piece trash talking her, this got the crowd more than warmed up. Last but not least a fantastic Prince cover was performed by the trio to wind the whole thing down. Massive thumbs up in my books on all accounts. I do realise that I've far from set out the set list, discussed what songs were played or not played or even put any of what happened at the gig in order of occurance but then I guess if you really wanted to know what it was like you should have gone to see them!Or hopefully this ramble will encourage you to in the near future!


Prince cover from Sunday night! :)


Aside from warming up for Paddy's day at the fantastic Cheltenham Races Day at The Bowery I have a quiet week ahead of me which means I can finally catch up on the second half of The Walking Dead season two. So help me if one more person ruins anymore plot twists or character deaths I will brain them! (ha nice mistaken pun if I do say so myself!)



13 comments:

  1. What type of music is Natasha Fox ? and whats that thing in the bowery?
    Cyprus avenue is a great place for gigs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fox is kind of Hip hop and soul...can't find a link to her music at the moment!

      The Cheltenham day at the Bowery to use their words is "An afternoon of big-screen horseracing, complimentary canapés,racing themed cocktails and a flutter(for the those who arrive early!). A stable-full of prizes and this year's raffle & Cheltenham Buster will see proceeds going to Special Olympics Munster." Kicks off at one!Sounds like a laugh, you peeled to join me?! :)

      Delete
  2. Hope you win your fortune at the Bowery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still insanely jealous of those Fashiolista girls...what I would give!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop, I know! They seem to have such a great life!

      Delete
  4. Whats this Cheltenham thing in the bowery?? Sounds like fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a day long event kicking off at 1pm with canapes,cocktails, bit of gambling for the eaerly birds and raffles!! Even has a best dressed competition! Something different to do! :)

      Delete
  5. The bowery sounds like great fun!!! Might pop in hope it's 21's tho they can't be so strict!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eek I just youtubed her there, I would be too gone with her but I'm not a massive fan of female singers XP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea she's a bit of an acquired taste I guess! :)

      Delete
  7. Was so annoyed I didnt get to make it to the Fashionlista event! Id say it was great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I know it really was! Wish there was more on during the year!

      Delete