Tuesday 7 February 2012

Exams aside, where to next?!

RAG week has rolled around once again and like every year it's a great chance for everyone to go into denial about up coming deadlines and the ever dreaded final exams in May. So I've decided to get into the spirit of things and focus my attention on what I'm going to do for the summer!  I'm not too sure whether I will end up going away travelling for a month or so but one thing that is definitely for sure is that I'm going to a festival of some sort!


EP mainstage


Without fail festivals are the best fun. On top of seeing some unbelievable performances, the most random of things can happen and the best friends that you will never remember will be made. Constantly tripping over guide ropes; drinking ridiculous amounts of alcohol (and that's just for breakfast); almost transforming myself into a human glow stick;  and  dancing it up at raves in the woods helped me say a big goodbye to my summer of work last year. When the final day came I nearly threw a strop, it never feels like there's enough time!


Raves in the woods!

My only issue is I'm at a loss as to which one to go to! Especially with flights around Europe being relatively cheap. So here are some of the options, feedback on what some of them are like or which one to go to would be much appreciated!

Electric Picnic - Last year was ridiculous and I wish I could live in the land of Electric picnic! I mean pirate ships for stages and a reggae town for "down time". Plenty of chill out spaces to cure a hangover in the body and soul area and some amazing steak sandwiches to be had on double decker buses. Definitely worth a return trip or several. Line up pending.

Body&Soul stage at EP.


Body & Soul - It is a celebration of the summer Solstice. It continues the tradition of thousands of years whereby people light fires and stay up all night to greet the sun on the longest day of the year.While there is great music, it's not just a music festival - there is amazing art, inspiring speakers and roaming performers. It's about the overall experience and transports people into a completely different world. Culturally it's the anti-Oxegen.


Camping fun


Sziget Festival- Situated on Obudai Island off Budapest. It lasts roughly for a week and apparently has a water park nearby (?!) This festival already has the likes of Stone Roses, Placebo,Crystal Fighters and Noah & the Wale on board. Has anyone actually been??!



The crowd at Sziget last year.


Benicassim - Went here as part of a 6th year holiday way back when. It made Oxegen look like miserable in comparison, though that could be said about any outdoors activity in Ireland versus sunny Spain! It's near a beach...(depending on which campsite you are in-the longest walk in the world if you stay in the one we were.) and also a water park to cool off and avoid sitting in the sauna like tents!  Amazing fun and not too far a trip to Barcelona. The line up is usually pretty cool as there's usually something for everyone and the nocturnal music schedule is always a bonus if you're  pasty and Irish, of which I am both!

Tomorrowland- 3 day long music festival in Belgium. The lineup has big names such as Fatboy Slim, Calvin Harris, David Guetta and Skrillex  so far... oh and a really pretty website! Anyone know much about it?!


Tomorrowland
So that's only a few that are in consideration, anyone have ideas on which one would be the best one to go to? Or is there any even better ones that I have not mentioned?! 

10 comments:

  1. Why not try Indiependence? I know its pretty small but its also pretty chilled out, and not to expensive! Depending on the lineup I may go this year! I really want to try electric picnic some time though, and steak sandwiches at a festival sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear Indiependence is great craic. Really fun, much more relaxed atmosphere and some pretty good acts!
    Personally, I'm a fan of filling a sliced pan with ham and cheese sandwiches and bringing it to festivals. It's the kind of thing your Gran does but it can be a life saver. Also, don't question your Gran!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh really? Indiependence,funny you mention it!*wink wink* But actually have you been?! Yea the steak sandwiches were amazing!! I do like ham and cheese though.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What to do after May is pretty scary!! Ive heard good things about tomorrow land, a few of my friends are going this year aswell!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah Indiependence is great.. only because their new social media campaign has made it THE place to be seen at this summer. Yeah, Sandra, you've definitely convinced me I must go to a festival this summer. Before I give up my life to be an old boring accountant. aarrrghh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Blog post.. I was only wondering the other day what other festivals where around since im going to be ireland bound working for the summer. Tomorrowland looks amazing, i have a load of friends travelling all the way from Oz to go to it... must be a good sign!!! apparently the tickets are hard to get a hold of though!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Katriona & Laoise Ya it sounds unreal! Still waiting on the rest of the line up...so will probably miss out on tickets !

    @Jen Yea Indiependence for sure! Actually you might know, how much are tickets??

    @Meabh I know right we totally went before it was mainstream and cool! But seriously where next?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. TOMORROWLAND! I wanna go so baaaaaaaaad, but alas I will be in California1 Can't complain too much I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH but Mags you're going to miss out on all that Cork has to Offer during the Summer! ;)

    ReplyDelete