Monday 2 January 2012

This year a smart resolution perhaps!

Happy New Year everyone!

Well I cannot lie and pretend that the cliche is not true because last year flew by too quickly! I can't believe that on top of being in my final year, I am already in the second half of the college calendar!

2012 arrived in the blink of an eye!



It is safe to say that the majority of my very vague yet ambitious resolutions made last year were far from achieved. Ambiguous aspirations that I would "get better" at the piano, become "more"  healthy and draw "regularly" (I even looked up the price of a sketch diary on amazon for this one, oh the enthusiasm!) were vowed. Unfortunately,apart from random bursts of gusto dotted throughout the year none of my goals appeared to take shape or come close to being successful. I did, however, manage to improve my procrastination skills and ability to be a lazy bones to no end.

Me, a picture of motivation and zeal.


"A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one Year and out the other."

 While this is a rather terrible pun I have to agree that it pretty much sums up my previous New Yearly attempts at self improvement! Even the few goals I have managed to maintain for a while are pretty much forgotten about by the next year regardless of whether or not they are accomplished. This year is going to be different though! Yes, I have said this every other year as well but now I have a plan. 

From now on I am just going to have to be smart about my resolutions!
Each of them will have to be:

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Timely


Yes, this is from a management book but who better to listen to when trying to organize myself! If this framework is a proven success within a business then it will definitely enable me to succeed in my personal goals!


The key to success?
Hopefully this will be the key to actually getting me motivated enough to go through with all my plans. I might even go all out and nerd it up by keeping a journal on my progress... Stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. I like the SMART thing! Setting good goals is really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to be using the SMART technique Sandra! I looked at my resolutions from last year... I only completed one out of five. Yiikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am the exact same . . set the resolutions and then come the following new year they are far from achieved!! The SMART technique may be the solution though . . might just give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never follow through with new year resolutions! Just make as many memories as you can to think back on New Years Eve 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the use of your Commerce learnings in setting resolutions. At least they're being put to good use :P
    My resolution is to actually move from my bed this year...but being that my latest blog post is about bed that seems unlikely:
    http://whattoreview.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/the-world-outside-bed/

    See how I got that in there? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far I've kept 3 out of 5 resolutions properly! Hopefully I won't drop anymore of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done gurl! The gurl who video taped her whole year in five mins was class!....would do t same except its february:P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I could do with making those motivation boards still though! We should spend an afternoon making them together!Say What? That's really cool!

    ReplyDelete